Let me start by apologizing to you all for staying away from my blog for 9 days. I was busy with Vishu celebrations and then could not put myself together for an article or video.
There is so much chaotic mess in my house and thanks to my toddler it is never as clean as I would like it to be but, hey no complaints as I love being his mom.
The next few days I will be discussing my spring cleaning and organizing routine.
Hope you get some inspiration. Let us get started.
I am not a hoarder but I do have an emotional issue with throwing stuff away. But, I gave myself an ultimatum and the result just stunned me.
I gave away tons of mine and Shaurya’s old clothes and may I say there is humongous amount of free space in our wardrobe and drawers.
Let me break down the process that helped me.
- Emptied the entire side of wardrobe onto my bed
- Kept two empty bags on the floor
- One bag was for give away clothes and the other for those clothes that I was going to keep
- I picked up each clothing item and analyzed if I wore it in the past 12 months or not
- Whatever I did not wear in the past 12 months went into the giveaway bag
- Excuses forming in my mind like “I will wear it one day ” was ignored
- Simple reality is if an item is not in fashion anymore I am certainly not going to wear it. Also, if something does not fit me right it makes sense to give it away (everyone knows I am not going back to my skinny self) than keeping it locked up and stuffing the closet or drawer with non wearable clothes.
This is what happened when my toddler felt I was playing without him and thought to join in. Mess Mess and more Mess. GOD!!
Let me say my newly arranged wardrobe area is Shaurya’s new play area.
Having tackled the casual clothing side of my wardrobe I felt so much more active and productive. It is so true that when there is physical mess around you it affects your mind as well.
Tomorrow is my make up organizing and I am so thrilled to share the same with you all.
I have not read KonMari method yet so will not be able to do an organizing series in alignment with that. However, I did apply her principle of keeping only those stuffs that makes me happy and also when all the unused stuff is given away look at it as it has served you its purpose and now somebody else will benefit from it. Now, I know how many tops and jeans I have and where they are placed. Easy to locate, use and put away. Win-win you see (giggles).
Did you all start with spring cleaning yet?